This research is to help our client, a software company for customer relationship management and business process management, to study how people, specifically software developers or UX architects, use online tools to learn and retain complex technical and business concepts.
The goal of this research is to answer the following four questions:
- The four questions in this research are identified to fall in the “Exploratory” category, indicating that it is aimed at exploring people’s realities how they learn complex concepts.
- Five representative people will be chosen as samples for this study.
Key Findings & Personas
Persona & Design Opportunities: Quick Experimenter & Structured Learner
Opportunities to Design for Quick Experimenter:
- Provide expert guidance on actions to take for learning: give the broad direction what steps they can take to form understanding.
- Provide clear and reader-friendly content overview: design content introduction clearly and friendly for browsing through so that Quick Experimenter can get to relevant content quickly without spending too much time on reading irrelevant content.
- Provide visual examples for experimenters to practice: design downloadable examples for them to practice on their side.
- Provide expert quick feedback on their experimenting results: give them more experienced support to correct them from errors.
- Provide possibility to write down reflection of this experience: provide them spaces to reflect and write down information that they think important during this process, such as links, instructive steps, journals, stories, etc.
Opportunities to Design for Structured Learners:
- Provide engaging exercise system: online courses can apply engaging technology and visual content to make the learning/exercise materials more interesting for the learners.
- Provide useful feedback to show how learners can improve: the question system should be well-developed and providing actionable feedback for the learners to improve their knowledge. It can also be added comparison metrics to make the exercise more exciting.
- Provide expert contact to address questions: give learners resources to answer their questions regarding relevant topics.
- Provide clear content identities for learners to locate more easily what they want to review: design the content titles, descriptions or any other identities clearly for the learners to come back to locate quickly what they want to review.